<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The adjustment back to the working world 

After almost ten months out of the office environment, I wasn't quite sure how I was going to feel about being back in it when I started my internship. Yes, school's work, a lot of work, but it's not the same. Plus I'd had three and a half weeks since the end of classes. Week one of those three was a reading week for exams and week two was the exam week itself, so it wasn't as if it was all vacation, but it was three weeks of not having to get up at a fixed time or be anywhere at a fixed time (for the most part, exams being an obvious exception) and generally being able to structure my days however I wanted to.

That first 6am alarm was a bit of a shock to the system, not helped by the fact that it was a grey and exceptionally rainy morning. The prospect of commuting again did not thrill me (after ten years of almost daily train travel, not getting on a train for weeks or even months at a time was a real tonic). And the office setting is rather less practical for taking a post-lunch nap, if I feel the need, than is my apartment.

All that said, I've slipped back into things pretty easily, although todays headache and sore neck and shoulders remind me that spending an entire day sitting at a computer and staring at a screen is not the most civilised thing in the world to do.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory