<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Son et Lumiere 

For the first, and quiet possible last, time in my life, I have a home with a water view. I overlook the Schuylkill river, and the view then extends to University City. Unfortunately, there's a freight rail line on the near side of the river and a busy road on the far side. Neither of them are particularly quiet, but it took probably less than a day after I moved in for them to have virtually become white noise. And I love the view. As well as the river I can see a prettily lit bridge over it, the majestic-looking railway station in it's floodlit glory, and a big new glass building just behind the station. There are evidently plans to do something with coloured lights on the outside of the new building. A few weeks ago I was sitting on my bed trying to revise statistics when I looked out of the window and saw that said building was covered in little red lights. They then went through a whole sequence of colour changes, ran round the building, ran up and down it, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with them when they're being used properly.

I really like the architecture in Philly generally. There are streets to wander through with lovely Victorian buildings as well as the very modern architecture of centre city. There are three glass skyscrapers not too far east of where I live, and dusk the rays of the setting sun give them the most beautiful golden luminescence. And when I watch the sunset from home at the moment, it descends just behind Huntsman Hall, making it glow like a beacon on the horizon.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory