<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Kid in a sweet shop 

I was sorely tempted to start this post off with an "Oh, I'm so busy" moan, if only in the hope that it would frustrate b-skewl enough to get him posting again, but I won't. I'm certainly doing lots, but not feeling overwhelmed in the way that I thought I might. Whether this is due to having waived one of this quarter's classes, or recruiting not having started yet, or the full impact of deadlines not quite being upon us, etc I don't know. But, at least for now, I'm getting enough sleep and not feeling like I'm drowning, which is fine by me.

The thing that definitely does have the potential to get a bit overwhelming at the moment though, is choice. A big school means lots going on, which is great in lots of ways because it means that it's pretty easy to find other people interested in doing the kind of thing you want to do and you don't have to do stuff that you're not interested in just because it's the only way to be social though. But it does mean that there are an awful lot of options available. Last week and this week most of the clubs have been having kick-off events, the Leadership Speakers series has started, and Career Management has been running various sessions. A lot of the time outside class hours I could easily have been in three places at once. But as the physical realities of the world make that impossible, I wasn't.

I've been trying to make 'focus' and 'prioritisation' my watchwords, so I'm concentrating on only doing the things that really interest me, and the things where I think I can be most beneficial, as well as where I can get the most out of what I'm doing. The plan is not to overcommit, so I can make sure that I do whatever I'm doing well, and that I'm getting a good balance between academics and non-academics. I'm not too bothered about grades, but I'm very bothered about learning, and while I know that learning comes from non-academics too, this is pretty much the only opportunity I'm going to have to learn the stuff on the academic side, so I don't want to waste it.

So overall, it has been a bit of a kid in a sweet shop experience in choosing what to do, but I think I know now where I want my focus to be. And I'm pretty good at 'no regrets' decision making, so I shouldn't be spending too much time on asking myself "what if I'd done that instead?" unfortunately, most of the major things I'm interested in doing have a competitive application process, so I may find myself not doing anything major if I don't make it through. Fingers crossed though, and more details later when I know what I get to do.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory