<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Result! 

Well, sort of.

The telephone call I was waiting for came, and the news was positive, although not quite as posistive as I'd have liked. I'm going to refrain from going into the intricacies of the situation, both becasue it's complicated to explain and because I probably shouldn't talk to the world about the details, but in essence, the positive news is that the organisation now has just over US$1 million more than we thought we were going to have. (NB US$ used for sake of international ease, and because it makes for pleasingly large numbers!) The less positive is that it's about $200,000 less than I'd asked for and a sizeable chunk of it that I'd hoped would be unrestricted (meaning we could use it for whatever we wanted) has been tied to specific purposes. Having said that, the purposes are such that it's going to be used for work that we absolutley have to do, and which we wouldn't get directly funded for from any other source, so it's the next best thing to being unrestricted really.

I'm not as cock-a-hoop about the outcome as I thought I'd be, or as I really should be $1 million is a heck of a lot of money, at least it is in terms of this organisation. It'll make a real difference to the work we do, and to my management-team-colleagues' ability to get a good night's sleep. It's also a bit of a personal validation. I was brought into the organisation to raise money, but for various reasons (some to do with the external enviroment, some to do with the organsiation itself, and no doubt some to do with me personally) I haven't had the success that I'd have liked. I know, and keep being told by colleagues, that I've contributed even more valuably in other ways and built a foundation which will make fundraising easier in the future, but the shortfall in cold hard cash coming in has still grated. And there have been individuals who've discounted external factors, failings of the organisation itself, the fact that a fundraiser should have been brought in at least a decade earlier, etc. and regarded the results as solely down to my personal inadequacies. So it's going to be good to lay this dragon at their feet and say "ha!". And I feel comfortable myself that if this were the only thing I'd achieved during my time here, I'd still have been a worthwhile expenditure.

So forget the 'sort of'. This was a great result - good for the organisation, good for the work, and good for me.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory