<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Girls' Toys 

Like Aregon and MagaritaLuvr, I've been starting to get myself technologically equipped for school. Unlike some other schools, Wharton doesn't require you to have a particular brand of laptop, or even a laptop at all. In fact I talked to a second year during Winter Welcome who said she didn't have her own computer at all, she just used the labs in Huntsman. (The reaction of other students to this suggested that she was very much the exception to the norm.) We have been given minimum suggested specifications though, and there's a back-to-school sale with laptops, desk-tops, accessories and peripherals available at really good prices.

I currently have a three-and-a-half-year-old desk top, which I have no intention of taking with me, and no laptop, so I decided that an investment in portable computing was needed. The back-to-school sale offers to IBM T43 models, one of which meets the recommended specifications and one which comes in a bit under. The recommended specs (1GB of RAM and 80GB of Hard Drive) seemed a bit OTT, a perception that was pretty much confirmed by other people I talked to, so I've opted instead for 512MB of RAM, 60GB of Hard Drive and a cost saving of just under $500+tax (compared to the higher spec model). I pressed the button on the order today, and hopefully it'll be waiting for me when I arrive on campus. (US based students can have theirs shipped in advance, but those of us overseas have to wait.)

I've also invested (separately) in an external hard drive, as a security back-up, so I can move old files off my lap top, and to help me transfer data when I move. I freely admit that I'm a bit of a boy when it comes to technology, and a lot of a girl when it comes to lovely shiny things, so the Apricorn EZ Bus is a real winner as far as I'm concerned. Not that I've actually used it yet, but it looks and feels great, and the shipping was incredibly fast (less than three days from the US). I'm just hoping it won't cause airport security concerns if I pack it in my hand luggage.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory