<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Stretching credulity 

Two days of enforced sofa rest has led to me watching much more TV than usual. Monday's big entertainment news story was the 'leak' of the first episode of the new Dr Who series onto the internet. If you've never come across Dr Who before, it's a cult BBC sci-fi series that ran between 1963 and 1989, and there's been a campaign for it to be brought back ever since it was cancelled. It was famed (and loved) as much for it's dodgy 'special effects' as much as anything else, and I think that a lot of people have a soft spot for it. And it naturally has the diehard fans which such series always generate. Personally I think it 'went off' in its later years, but I was a big fan in the late 70's and early 80's. (I never found it particularly scary though, but I was seriously freaked out by the bushy eyebrows of the person who did the sports results that were broadcast immediately before. To this day, I maintain a liking for 'horror'/monsters/blood 'n' guts etc, and a problem with overly heavy eyebrows.) So I'm looking forward to the new series and hoping that they haven't made a complet mess of it.

What I am finding difficult to swallow though is the fact that this 'leak' occurred the day before the official publicity launched. Call me a cynic (and I won't argue with you), but there's just too much of a coincidence of timing. The BBC can protest all it likes, but I smell guerilla marketing wearing eau de rodent.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory