<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Psychic technology 

At the end of last year I had a day when both my on-site management team colleagues were out of the office and I was therefore 'in charge'. The scanner picked up on this and the fact that our IT guy had the day off, and decided to attempt to electrocute one of my colleagues and to succesfully blow the fuse for half our power sockets. Having ascertained that the colleague was OK, I spent most of the rest of the afternoon trying to track down the relevant fuse box (we're in a slightly odd converted building where things don't tend to be in the obvious place) and then re-booting technology. The moral of the story is not to work for a small organisation (or to keep your IT guy chained to his desk).

Yesterday I was again the senior person on site, and the IT guy is off all week. Just as I was leaving I went to say good bye to the person checking the back-ups, discovered something had gone wrong the night before, and ended up getting out of the building two hours after I'd started to go. I don't know what it is about machines, but they do seem to sense when their master is absent, and no amount of stroking, soothing words, or blood sacrifices from anyone else will make up for it.

Then to cap it all, in the middle of last night my over-sentsitive smoke alarm (you only need to think about grilling bacon for it to go off) decided it needed its battery changing. I tried to ignore the periodic beeping outbursts, but in the end gave up, and at 3am could be found up a ladder (I have 12ft ceilings), wearing a dressing gown and doc martins, and wrestling to get into the thing so I could put in a fresh battery.

I'm now quite looking forward to having a few days where all technology will be someonelse's problem.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory