<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 25, 2005

DAK 

I got home from Chicago, unpacked one bag, packed another one, got half a night's sleep and then spent three days away from home with work, so blogging on DAK has been delayed. Like Wharton Winter Welcome, there was too much to talk about it all in detail, so what follows is a bit of snapshot.

It was two very full days of presentations, a team work exercise, mock classes and social activities. There were no opportunities to sit in on classes, although I know some people had arrived early on the Thursday in order to do that. I enjoyed the teamwork exercise (building a tower from index cards) and the mock classes - Finance, which was reassuring as I just about managed to follow what was going on, and Managerial Decision Making, which reminded me just how excited I can get about statistics (sad I know, but true). (There was also a third class on marketing, but I skipped the Saturday morning so missed it). Lunches were structured so that you could go to presentations on both academic areas that interested you and career areas. Although it was good to be able to get this information and an efficient way of using limited time, it did cut into the general 'bonding' opporrtunities that I'd found lunch provided at Winter Welcome. That and the large size of the sections we were divided into meant that I didn't feel that I got to meet as many people or talk to them as much as I had at the Wharton event. In comparrison with Winter Welcome, I think there were fewer formal presentaions, which might be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view, but those that there were were les interactive and had limited opportunities for Q&A. The Dean's presentation, which was scheduled to last an hour and consist mainly of Q&A ended up being 45mins of him talking. Although both events were student organised, I got the impression that the Kellogg one had less involvement from the administration, and I'm not convinced that was a good thing.

I've no doubt that Kellogg is a good school with good people there, and there are certainly people that I'm sorry I won't be studying with. But I've also no doubt that it's not the right place for me. Culture is a difficult thing to pin down, but I think that what you choose to highlight in an admit event and the way you choose to present it says a lot about the school, and the more I think about it the more some elements of DAK make me feel uneasy, although of course all my reactions are coloured by my own prejudices and perceptions, which say a lot about me. I know that there are lots of admits who are increadibly excited about going there, as well as some who are more ambivalent, and the students and alumni are obviously very loyal to and enthused about the school. Going to Wharton I know is going to be much better for me, and will allow someone else to go to Kellogg and Kellogg to get someone who fits its culture better, which is a win-win situation all round I think.

Edited to say that Majalo has a couple of posts which give much more detail and tell of a more positive experience.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory