<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Welcome to 2005 

Today's been the first day back at work (yesterday was a holiday because New Year's Day fell on a Saturday) and it's been a bit of a shock to the system.

I saw out 2004 quietly, my landlord/flatmate and I had a couple of friends round for dinner, and then spent the weekend with a bunch of friends that I sing in a choir with. I don't get to see some of them very often, so it was fun. We seemed to spend an awful lot of time discussing where I was going, when I was going, how I possibly thought I was going to survive two years without Radio 4 / decent newspapers / Chocolate Hobnobs / decent beer / HP sauce / easily available curries /edible chocolate / people with a sense of irony etc etc, how in fact all of the aforementioned could be got in the US if you tried, and whether American Men should generally be considered to be a good thing or not (no clear consensus reached on the latter). It's been really touching how my friends have been excited for me but at the same time sorry that it means I won't be around.

One of the things that really struck me over the weekend was how much my life has moved on in the last three years. I spent New Year 2002 with the same group of people, but have only very patchy memories of it. I think my mind just blanked lots of it out as a stress response. At the time I felt like I was sitting on the edge of very ugly precipice. I'd recently found out that my husband was having an affair and I was at the start of a six-month period that would see me go through some of the lowest points in my life, including the end of my marriage. It was truly horrible. But in the obscure, roundabout route that life and God so often take, those experiences have helped to bring me to New Year to 2005, and to a feeling that I'm on top of a mountain looking at a whole vista of opportunities. Having received so much support from my friends through the bad times, it's been wonderful to be able to celebrate something good with them.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory