<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 22, 2004

An Englishperson in . . .  

Before I went on holiday, I made a customary stop at the airport bookshop to pick up a couple of books for the trip. I couldn't get either of the two titles I was specifically looking for, but ended up wioth two very good books, both of which, in very different ways, deal with issues of identity and how where we've come from and what we've experience impact on who we are and the choices we make.

I'm still mid-way through reading Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour by Kate Fox. She is an anthropologist and social reasercher and the book manages to be both scholarly and entertaining (it had me laughing out loud on public transport, which is a very un-English thing to do!). If you're likely to be studying / working / living in the UK (the writer specifically looks at the English, although I think a lot of it is probably equally applicable to people from Wales, Scotland, and maybe Northern Ireland) or there's a 'small islander' in your life that you want to understand / bond with / seduce, then I'd highly recommend this as a good and useful read. And for Englishpeople and Brits of other flavours, it shines a fascinating light on 'normal' behaviours that really are rather odd to the rest of the wrold.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory