<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 11, 2004

People Like Us 

One of the things that struck me at the Forte Forum, but which I somehow managed to miss out entirely from my last blog entry, was the value for female propspective candidates of being at an event where they're in the majority. Personally, I've always taken a very 'ungendered' of myself and have been fortunate to have had an upbringing and a career-to-date where I've never really had a 'you can't do that, you don't have a Y chromosone' - type experience. But I know that's not the case for everyone and that for some women, being in an information session where 80% of the potential applicants are men can make them question whether B-school is the place for people like them.

My thoughts on this lastMonday night were leading into thoughts I've been having for a while about management education and the nfp sector. I think there's a culture in a lot of the sector, at least in the UK, that views managment education as 'not for the likes of us'. My guess is that anyone working in a marketing role in the sector will have developed a repertoire of ways of expressing the concept of 'brand', for example, without actually using the b word, because it tends to scare people. And too often things like planning, strategy, measurement and evaluation are seen as impositions from the private sector that get in the way of what the nfp sector is trying to do, rather than as tools that can help us do things better. So management education is viewed with suspicion. I wonder what can be done to change that.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory