<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Essays 

I got comments on my essays back from the friends who've given them a read. They're generally positive, but with some useful things to think about. I'm still working on S1 and plan to get it finished by the weekend.

I'm also a bit worried about the first three Kellogg essays, especially after this recent post from Kristen on B-week:

We tend to stay away from word count limits but instead provide the looser page count guidelines, and let applicants use their best judgment. As long as you stick with around 1-inch margins, double spacing, an 11 or 12-point font and the 1-2 page guideline, you're fine. Responses to the short answer questions tend to range from 1/3 of a page to 1 page long.

If they want a one-inch margin right the way round and an 11 or 12 point font, then why the heck don't they say so in the application materials. A one-inch margin at the top is not the same as one-inch on all four sides, and a 'readable' font meandsns different things to different people. (I find 10pt perfectly readable, a 60-year-old with poor eyesight might not find 14pt readable, there's certainly no international standard that I'm aware of that declares that readable = 11 or 12pt!)

So my dilemma is, do I stick with what I have, which says what I want to say and complies with the formal instructions, or do I go with the margins and font that Kirsten states and do some major re-writing?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory