<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Kellogg Essay 3 

You have been selected as a member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Please provide a brief evaluative assessment of your file.

I remember reading someone's complaints about this essay. Their point, if I remember rightly, was that you were being asked to re-hash what you'd already spent several essays covering. In contrast, I'm finding it a really useful essay to do.

First off, it makes you focus on what the people actually evaluating the file will be looking for. I went and found the section on the Kellogg website that talked about how they evaluate applications and I'm using the criteria they list as sub-heads.

Second, it allows you to spot the areas where the rest of your application is weak. If I'm strugling to find something to write under a sub-head, then I need to make sure that I go back to the rest of the app. and make sure I'm addressing that area. I've started drafting this one early on in the process to help me ensure I cover all the bases with the rest of my materials.

Third, it allows you to anticipate adcom's concerns and address them. Lowish quant GMAT but lots of quant in you work? You can point it out without having to use an optional essay to do so, or worrying that the person reading your file won't make the connection. I'm taking the opportunity to put my career progress in context, on the basis that it's unlikely that anyone reading the file will know anything about the average career development of a fundraiser in the UK.

I just wish I knew what the 'choose 3 from x' essays are going to be, so I could get on and write them.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory